14 Months

Rory is 14 months old today! I hope that she had a fun day with her foster family. I would imagine that she is walking by now. At 12 months, she wasn't quite walking on her own, but close according to the social worker's reports. We are still waiting for her legals, but am hopeful they might arrive this week. I am feeling quite anxious about it all, and I feel the burden of this wait weighing heavy on me. Its been 5 weeks, and we haven't even started the big wait for our immigration paperwork.

While we're on Rory and adoption, just a little rant from me. Over the last several weeks, I have had so many crazy, uninformed comments made to me that I've about had it! So let this be a public service announcement: PLEASE think before you speak! This is only one small example, but if one more person tells me how great it is that we won't have to deal with the infant/newborn/sleepless nights/endless bottles stage, I think I'll scream. Does anyone really think that we're happy that we will not meet our daughter until she's 18 months old or that it's a good thing that she has had multiple caregivers because her forever family isn't with her or that it will be easy to bring home an 18 month old who has never known anything but instability in her little life? Would any of you skipped knowing your child for the first 18 months of life? Because, really, when you tell me how great it is that we don't have to go through the newborn stage, that's what you're saying. I'm sure most of you reading this blog haven't been the ones to make ignorant comments, but you'd be surprised by how many and how often and by whom I've received comments. Okay, rant officially over.

I have a sweet Camden story that I meant to tell yesterday. When my parents left on Sunday, we walked them down, waved to them, and then got into our car to meet other family for lunch. I noticed Camden was really quiet so I turned around and asked him what was wrong. He was really sad, and said, "it just won't be very much fun any more without grandma and grandpa." Then he puckered up, tears started rolling, and said, "and we forgot to play soccer." Grandpa had told him he wanted to play soccer, but we all just forgot! The weather was cold and wet most of the time, and it just didn't get done. Four year olds don't understand that very well, though!

Well, I need to head to work. I didn't scrap last night, but I did finish up a BIG Christmas project and started work on our Christmas card. I don't know why I even bother - I always work for days, stress out needlessly, lose sleep over it, and I'm sure no one would even notice if I just did a traditional card! Last night I stayed up so late and then couldn't sleep, so I'm running on about 2 hours today. It just might be a long day!

Here's one more picture from the weekend.

Comments

Amanda said…
I am very sorry that you will be missing out on the newborn stage and all that comes with it. God blesses each ones family in diffrent ways and I can't wait for you to get to hold your beautiful baby girl in your arms and raise her in a loving and christian home. Even though you can't get back the 18 months you are missing with her I know that God is going to make it up to you in ways you can't even imagine. I don't know what you are going through having to wait this long to hold her but I want you to know that I think it is absolutely amazing what you guys are doing by adopting these beautiful children who need someone to love them and care for them. I am praying God will give you strength for the days of waiting to come and then for your house to be filled to the brim with love and peace when she finally gets to come home to her mom and dad and brother! God bless ya'll! Hope you have a good day even on 2 hrs sleep!
Karen said…
Sam was 13 months old when he came home, and we also got many of those comments about missing the newborn stage. I wanted to scream! We know that we get the babies that God intends for us to have, but I'm totally with you.. Having to hear people tell you how "lucky" you are to have missed out on those first months is soooo hard to take when you're already enduring a wait that's too long to begin with! HUGS! I hope you get some sleep soon!
M :-) said…
(((((((((hugs))))))))))

I'm so sorry that people are making such insensitive comments. People that haven't been through the process, just don't get it. It's tough, and it's frustrating for those of us that are going through this awful wait.
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry it's taking so long to get the paperwork for Rory. What a huge pain (and blieve me, I understand:) I'm sorry that people are so seemingly ignorant about adoption and the feelings surrounding it. I believe it's our job to educate people about the process, the emotions, etc. People who are not or have not experienced this journey have no idea and I think they really don't mean anything by their comments, they just don't "get it". I guess that's where we come in!
I love you and your precious family and I can't wait to get little missy here to spoil, I mean love:) Hang in there (man, have I heard that million times!) Thanks for all your support and prayers while we continue to wait on little Miss Emma. You are a dear friend!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)