Answers

Okay, here are answers to a few of the questions asked recently.

How did you and Brian meet and where did he propose?
This is a perfectly simple and classic story of boy meets girl at college. Because of our last names (Hale and Lewis) we sat close to each other in many of our college classes. We were each dating someone else, but at the end of our freshmen year were both free and he asked me out, I said yes, and that was pretty much it. :) Really, I was always so comfortable with him and it was never really in doubt that we would be together. Our first date was to McDonalds and miniature golf (big spender!). 

Oh, and funny story. I told him as a joke that he had to call and ask my Dad if he could date me, and he absolutely did it. 

He proposed the summer before our junior year of college at the Colorado National Monument.

What is a church plant?
Essentially, it is identifying an geographical area experiencing significant growth and starting a new church there. McKinney is currently the 2nd fastest growing city in the United States and there simply aren't enough churches to meet the needs of an exploding population.

When are you moving?
Well, Brian has to have a job before we move. Last year we were planning to move and hope for the best, but obviously we cannot jeopardize our insurance situation. We're certainly praying that he'll get a job by the summer. Schools are still in the process of determining their openings for the next school year so the job hunt hasn't started quite yet. We're also in the process of fundraising for the new church.

What kind of cancer do you have and how did they find it?
I have stage 3c ovarian cancer. I experienced some stomach issues October 2010 - March 2011. I initially went to the doctor in November 2010, but I had just had my annual exam so gynecological issues were ruled out immediately. I remember my doctor confirming several times that I had tested negative for the BRCA1 gene, and I never even made a cancer connection because ovarian cancer was completely not on my radar. If I would have found a lump in my breast, I would have not been surprised at all because of our family history of breast cancer. 

My doctor gave me some medicine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which seemed to briefly help. However, I completely avoided going back to the doctor until March 2011. At that point, the doctor sent me for an ultrasound where they found a large growth on my ovary. Ovarian cancer is a surface spreading disease, and when I had surgery March 30, they discovered that the cancer had spread not only to my colon but to my bowels. I had a complete hysterectomy, a bowel resection, and about a foot of my colon removed. I'm very lucky to not have any stomach/colon/bowel issues. 

The pieces of cancer remaining after the surgery is considered small volume disease - tiny pieces too small to remove via surgery on the lining of my peritoneal wall.

Is your cancer in remission?
That's a good question, and I wish I knew the answer. When I finished the original chemo treatments September 1, 2011, the CT scan showed no change in my cancer - those small pieces left from surgery were still there. They showed some signs of calcification, however. After additional chemo, I had a scan in November and then again in December as a result of my gallstone issues. The general surgeon as well as my oncologist reviewed my scans and determined that it looked as if all my tumor pieces left were calcified. My CA125 has been stable for months, and in fact lower than ever before (but still slightly higher than what they like to see). The hard part is knowing if those pieces are calcified all the way through or not. 

When the original chemo doesn't work, it's very very hard to get rid of ovarian cancer. There's no way of knowing if I am cancer-free or not. We can only check my CA125 every 3 months, which is what I'm having done tomorrow. If it is still stable, then I get another 3 months of freedom. If my CA125 is elevated, then it means those pieces are not actually calcified/dead.

Unfortunately, there has been very little advancement in the area of ovarian cancer and treatment options are not nearly as plentiful as they are with other cancers.

What kind of camera do you use and how many lens do you have?
I have a Nikon D7000 that I love. And I am very blessed with good lens: Nikon 50mm 1.4, Nikon 35mm 2.0, Nikon 70-200 2.8mm, and a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8.

What photography classes have you taken?
Oh, lots. :) Over the last 3 years I have taken Oh, Shoot by Candace Stringham. Rock Your Camera 101 and 201 from Clickin' Moms as well as Snapshots of a Good Life by Karen Russell.

Do you use photo actions?
Until a couple of months ago, the answer to that question would have been a resounding no. But recently, I've been embracing a new style, and I kind of love it. I have been playing around with the contrast/haze and usually use Florabella's Luxe II set although Everyday Elements has a free version that you might like to try.

I used to always been in a panic about consistent editing and finding my style, which is why I resisted actions of any kind for so long. But now I find myself using what makes me happy and right now Florabella's Milk action with all levels but the milk haze, tone, and contrast turned off; lower the contrast level to about 10%. I still think consistent editing is good, but it's also fun to play around.

Were these frosted cookie cups good? 
Oh, most definitely.

Okay, I think I covered most of them. I combined those that were asked twice, and I feel like I'm forgetting some older ones. You can ask again if there's still something you're looking for.

Comments

Joan B said…
Thank you so much for the answers. I asked the question about planting and the answer wasn't what I expected, so I am glad I asked.

Whew, I thought you guys were going to Texas without health insurance and I was a gaga!! LOL Best of luck in a million different ways.
Brian Lewis said…
I knew she was "the one" when she agreed to McDonalds and miniature golf for our first date. We have now moved up to Chick-fil-a!
These were fun to read! Well, maybe not the cancer one... But it was informative!
Brian's comment is cracking me up. But other than that, I was glad to read more about the church plant and the impending move. I have one more question--what denomination are you? Our church is part of a church planting organization called ARC (http://www.arcchurches.com/) and just wondered if you all were a part of that.
Krista said…
Thanks for sharing! I've never had Chick-fil-a... guess I need a visit to the great US of A!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel